(CLOSED) How to Write Love Scenes...that Readers Won't Skip
Learn how to craft great love scenes, determine which type are right for your story, and finally get over the my-mother-may-read-this fear of writing them
CLASS IS SOLD OUT
Please sign up for Roni's writer newsletter to be notified when a new class opens and to get exclusive discount codes!
Whether you're writing sweet, sexy, or melt-the-pages romance, no one wants to write love scenes that have readers skimming the pages. Join New York Times bestselling author and two-time Rita award winner Roni Loren in an in-depth workshop on writing great love scenes. Learn how to write different types of love scenes, how to make them memorable and not cringe-worthy, and how to tailor them to your genre or subgenre. You'll also dig into the components of a great love scene (spoiler: it has very little to do with choreography.) And finally, you'll learn how to get past any my-mom/dad-might-read-this qualms. It can be done!
Note: This is a workshop for 18+ age group.
What We’ll Cover
- Do you need that love scene?
- Four different types of love scenes
- How to write a great love scene
- Building tension before the big moment(s)
- Components of a great love scene (digging into topics such as conflict, language, sensory detail, POV, timing, etc.)
- The Centerpiece Love Scene
- What will turn a sexy scene cold
- How to get over my-mother-may-read-this fear
- Examples including excerpts from books and movie clips will be used to illustrate the concepts.
- LIVE VIDEO PRESENTATION - Roni will open the class with a live video and slide presentation (roughly 1.5-2 hours.) This is the full workshop she presents at writing conferences across the country. (The live video call will be via the Zoom app/website. Students will not be on camera or audio, but will be able to use the chat box for questions. The video will be recorded and posted within the class if you can't make it during the live time.)
- PRINTABLE LECTURES - The information covered in the lecture will also be broken down and provided in printed lectures that you can download and keep. This will give you the opportunity to go over the information in more detail and at your own pace.
- OPTIONAL ASSIGNMENTS - Within the lectures, there will be optional assignments to help you work on the skills discussed.
- LIVE Q+A - Questions can be submitted to Roni throughout the class. At the end of the class session, Roni will do a live Q+A to answer your questions.
- CLASS DISCUSSION - Within the class, you will have the opportunity to chat with the instructor, your fellow writers, potentially find beta readers/critique partners, and learn from each other.
Roni wrote her first romance novel at age fifteen when she discovered writing about boys was way easier than actually talking to them. Since then, her flirting skills haven’t improved, but she likes to think her storytelling ability has. She holds a master’s degree in social work and spent years as a mental health counselor, but now she writes full time from her cozy office in Dallas, Texas where she puts her characters on the therapy couch instead. She is a two-time RITA Award winner and a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author.
- TWO-TIME RITA AWARD WINNER
- FIVE-TIME RITA AWARD NOMINEE
- AMAZON BEST BOOK OF 2018 WINNER
- A KIRKUS BEST ROMANCE NOVEL OF 2018 WINNER
- A PUBLISHERS WEEKLY BEST BOOK OF 2018 WINNER
- AWARDED PRESTIGIOUS STARRED REVIEWS FROM KIRKUS, PW, AND BOOKLIST
- FIFTEEN SUCCESSFUL ROMANCE NOVELS
PreviewDoes My Book Need Love Scenes: If, When, and How Many?
StartThe Four Types of Love Scenes
StartMake Them Want It - How to Build Tension
StartComponents of a Great Love Scene
StartThe Centerpiece Love Scene
StartWhy Does This Love Scene Suck, Other Pitfalls, & The Ultimate Test
StartGetting Over the My-Mom/Dad-May Read This Fear
StartBook Recommendation Thread (Add your recs!)
StartPOST QUESTIONS FOR THE LIVE Q+A ON THIS THREAD
StartLIVE Q+A with Roni (REPLAY POSTED HERE) (62:07)
StartWriting Resources and Further Reading